6.22.2011

How to be a fighter

Lately I've been thinking about how many people struggle with mental battles. Everyday we face a battle as sure as we are breathing.  I took a nap and awoke from a really freaky dream -- I was even fighting in my sleep, good grief! I guess I should backtrack a little and give some background.


I have been on a new journey. A journey from saying I have faith to actually living my life in faith. I assure you, if you attempt this feat you will be fought daily. Mentally, spiritually, oh and did I mention mentally?  Many people struggle with mental battles. They just don't admit it. For whatever reason; maybe they don't realize it completely, maybe they're too proud to accept it or maybe they are so afraid that if they speak it that bad things will occur.  I've decided recently that instead of allowing or even acknowledging those thoughts that come or those little "voices" that aren't of God -- I refuse to be held captive. 


Now, let me just say real quickly, there is NO WAY I could do it by sheer will-power. As awesome as that would be and as strong as I think I may be, that's just futile. I wouldn't attempt it for a minute! The Bible says "For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12 NLT) We and our minds are no match for that kind of warfare.  The battle is only for God to fight - in our place. 


I thought more about the "mind struggle" that many people face. If we could only wrap our minds around the fact that it's NOT our battle to fight.  The reason the enemy, the dark powers try to come against God's children is because they are fighting GOD himself! This whole fight is from the enemy towards God. God kicked his tail out of Heaven and he's still mad. Get it? We're just a channel for that evil power to wrestle with, to torment and to cause confusion and destruction. All because the devil hates God. That should make us so angry that we REFUSE to accept the challenge of the enemy. We should stand against and be bold against the thoughts that come to us and hinder our walk with God. 


I don't discount for one second some people have thoughts because of their troubled past.  I can resonate with that 100%. God knew what we would face before it happened. He knew what we'd encounter in life. Do you not think He knows our future? He has faced sorrow and torment far greater than we could ever comprehend. He suffered a grueling death on a cross - voluntarily. He knows torment. He's heard those taunts and the jabs of the enemy. He faced it for us and He is the master of that kind of warfare! 


His Word, the Holy Bible, is one of the greatest weapons He has given us!  Did you know that the enemy, Satan, talked to God, too? (Matthew 4) Yes! Satan tempted God at a very weak point. God was fasting for 40 days and nights when Satan tried tempting Him. Obviously, God won! Some of the most simple words God spoke were, "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" James 4:7 NIV. It has a unique formula. 
#1 Submit yourself to God 
#2 RESIST the devil 
#3 The devil will leave. 

I'm glad I have that promise from God! Submitting is not always easy, but it must be done. When we're submitted, God does the rest! Resisting won't be difficult when you're sold out to God. If you haven't made up your mind ... you might want to try out that formula!


So, why do I bring this up, you might ask? I wanted to share something I've recently done that has been helpful and has become more than I ever thought it would.  I got tired of hearing the devil tell me lies. I got tired of feeling like less of a person. I finally decided that enough was enough. I'm going to throw something in the face of any enemy that tries to block me. I'm a fighter. I don't give up easily. 

So, here it is ...

If you need encouragement, PRAY. 
Then, create a page of scriptures. 
I made a list of about 30 scriptures that are on the topic of victory. 
I read them everyday. 
I read them more than once a day. 
If I get a thought that is not of God, I read it. 
I read it LOUD and then I begin to thank God for His promises. 


I just wanted to share that with someone. If one person is blessed - that is my ultimate goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment