6.30.2011

Self encouragement and it's Mary time

I was digging through my old Xanga blog and found this little nugget I posted back in 2008. Take a seat, stay awhile ...

Martha belonged to Bethany, and was the sister of Lazarus and Mary (Jn 11:1).  Martha generally took the lead in action, it is inferred that she was the eider sister. Martha was one of those who gave hospitality to Jesus during His public ministry. Thus, in the course of those wanderings which began when "he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem" (Lk 9:51), he "entered into a certain village"--its name is not stated--and "a certain woman named Martha received him into her house" (Lk 10:38). Martha, whose sense of responsibility as hostess weighed heavily upon her, was "cumbered about much serving," and her indignation was aroused at the lack of assistance given to her by her sister. Her words, "Lord, dost thou not care?" implied a certain reproach to Jesus also, in that she felt He showed a want of sympathy with her efforts and was the cause of Mary’s remissness. But Jesus, in tones of gentle reproof, reminded her that for Him not the preparation of an elaborate meal but the hearing of His Word in the spirit of Mary was the "one thing needful" (Lk 10:39-42).

I’ve been thinking about Martha so much lately.  The above was found on a Biblical website that I was reading from. Martha was known as the industrious, work-a-holic, a people-pleaser, so to speak.  She did great things for Jesus.  She was probably one of those wonderful people, unlike myself, that can multi-task 50 jobs all at once. She was probably the worker bee that never stopped.  She thrived on perfection and making sure the job was done "just so".  I admire her because, being somewhat a perfectionist myself, I always want the job done ... well, perfect.  I feel like, if I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it all the way and beyond or I’m not giving my word. Period.  But, in the midst of all the effort and sweat, she got lost. Lost in herself. Shamefully, I admit that I’ve done this very thing. Becoming so cumbered with the idea that if things are not going as I plan, then I think... "Lord, dost thou not care?" Or, in our modern day vernacular, "Um, God ... don’t-you-see-how-much-work-I’ve-done-and-how-awesome-of-a- job-this-is-and-how-talented-I-am-and-all-the-time-I-spent-on-this-project-and-all- the-hrs-I-stayed-up-at-night-on-my-own-time-making-forms-and-nice-things- for-people-that-really-care-less-and-most-likely-will-leave-them-sitting-around-everywhere-to-be-thrown-away? God,-don’t-you-see-how-much-I’m-trying-to-please-You?"  Maybe I’m the only one that has felt this. Doubtful! But, I’m speaking to myself tonight. I shall call this my self-talk.  My conclusion is rather simple.  I want to be like Mary, instead.  Martha was so concerned and even angered, according to scripture, that God didn’t NOTICE her deeds. Many deeds she’d done, there’s no doubt.  Her attitude, however, did nothing for God.  She was not in it to truly be a servant. It was a duty to her. It had become something other than a sacrifice.  I get tired of being around people that have this attitude.  I also get tired of having to whip myself into shape from HAVING this very attitude.  I sincerely need God to help me become a Mary. 

She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42)

God was simply trying to tell Martha (my interpretation): Look, girl. You have got to chill out! You can’t just be worried about all the things you’ve got to manage.  It’s not all about you. You have to look at what’s important. First, your attitude stinks and you need to be looking for ME and seek My Presence. 

Ok, that was a humbling and probably mortifying experience for Martha.  I feel like God has said the same to me. I can’t be so cumbered and vexed with my responsibilities that I can’t even feel Him when He speaks.  I can’t be so angered and angsty to finish a project if He’s not in it.  I don’t want to do anything or say a single word without Him first saying ... do it.  I love Him with all my heart and I need this story on my bathroom mirror!  It’s not really about getting the work DONE as much as it is focusing on the attitude it is done with and the will of God.  Our attitudes tell others a lot about our heart.  I don’t want my heart out of line with God. I don’t want to say or be something that can turn someone away from me that can later be an asset to me. So, self. You are officially on notice: It’s Mary time.


-Rebekah out

No comments:

Post a Comment